The New Haven Chorale welcomes the choruses and Wind Ensemble of The Hartt School for a special multi-media performance of “Understanding,” a choral-symphonic exploration of the rich common ground among Christian, Jewish, and Islamic traditions:
· Featuring the northeast premiere of Yale composer Christopher Theofanidis’ The Here and Now, a powerful setting of words by 13-century Sufi mystic Jalal ad-din Muhammad Balkhi, known as Rumi
· The world premiere of William Bolcom’s tender Solace (To the memory of the Newtown massacre victims), a setting of the poem, Solace, by Connecticut Poet Laureate Dick Allen
· Reading of the poem by the author
· Sacred music by Ernest Bloch and Igor Stravinsky
· Multimedia…including projected digital images and theatrical lighting…by Projects for a New Millennium
View a concert preview video, produced by New Haven CTV.
Please join us for a spectacular, 300-voice performance at Woolsey Hall on May 5th. For information about preconcert panel discussions, see the note in the left sidebar.
8:00 PM, May 2, 2013, Cathedral of St. Joseph, Hartford
4:30 PM, May 5, 2013, Woolsey Hall, New Haven